The series of Metropolitan Police Commissioner's miscellanea includes: register of manning returns, complaints by members of the public, estimates, office regulations, Daily Police Reports, register of officers' warrant numbers, attestation ledgers, certificate of service records, register of widows' pensions, etc, criminal return book, a precedent book, papers relating to the Commissioner's Office and his annual reports from 1926 to 1981, handbooks and manuals, arrangements for the coronations of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II, state weddings and funerals, posters and publicity material, war diaries, Metropolitan Police lists, minutes of the Metropolitan Police New Headquarters Steering Committee, and the report of the 1903 committee on Metropolitan Police accommodation.
The series contains material descriptive of police personnel:
- Numerical registers (MEPO 4/31-32) (1829-1830) give heights;
- Alphabetical registers (MEPO 4/333-338) (1830-1857 and 1878-1933) give names and addresses of referees;
- Registers of leavers (MEPO 4/339-351) (1889-1947) give name, warrant number, rank, and date of joining and leaving.
- Attestation ledgers (MEPO 4/352-360) (1869-1958) give signatures of the recruit and a witness;
- Certificates of service (MEPO 4/361-477) (1889-1909) give a physical description, date of birth, trade, marital status, residence, number of children, name and place of last employer, previous public service, surgeon's certificate, postings to divisions, dates of promotion or demotion and cause of removal.
Selected records within this series are available to download as digital microfilm.