The records were deposited in the Record Office in December 1980 [Acc 1808], and February 1992 Accession 2688
the items NU1/1-NU1-7 were deposited as Accession 1808. Items NU1/8-NU1/29 were part of Accession 2688
Administrative / biographical background:
The first Unitarian meeting in Letchworth was held on 15 November 1925 in the Howard Hall. Conferences and socials were also held in The Cloisters. The number of members was never high - only 30 in 1939 and the Church did not have a Minister of its own. The Howard Hall was requisitioned in 1939 for war purposes so subsequent meetings were held in Vasanta Hall, Gernon Walk, Letchworth by kind permission of the Theosophical Society. The last service to be held in this building was in September 1955 when only seven members were present. Meetings continued in members' homes for a number of years until in October 1958 they ceased altogether and the churches accounts wound up.