1V/100/1-43 Sexton books (burials), 1837-1936
IV/100/44-44A Cremations, 1915-1935
IV/100/45-50 Financial records, 1935-1938
IV/100/51-90 Burial registers, 1837-1961
IV/100/91-93 Correspondence 1934-1936
IV/100/AD/1/ - 8/ Business records 1837-1965
(See separate contents list below)
IV/100/AD2/1-3 Statement as to re-used graves, 2000
IV/100/AD3/1-6 Cemetery managers' minutes 1864-1915
IV/100/AD3/7 Share transfers 1886-1915
IV/100/AD3/8 Gravediggers' note book 1837-1854
IV/100/AD3/9 Cremations 1955-1963
The Company was incorporated in 1836, an Act of Parliament (6 + 7 William IV c. 136) having authorised the opening of a cemetary within 10 miles of London and the saving of £75,000. 41 acres (only half the amount which they were authorised to purchase), lying in the Manor of Lambeth and formerly part of Lord Thurlow's estate, were bought and enfranchised, and the cemetery was opened in 1837. The Bishop of Winchester performed the consecration on 7th December.
William (later Sir William) Tate, the Company's Surveyor, designed two chapels, one for Dissenters and one for the Church of England. He also designed the original lodge. None of this work now survives. The lodge was rebuilt in 1936, and the two chapels (and rebuilt lodge) suffered bomb damage during World War II. The Episcopal Chapel was demolished in 1960.
In 1842 the Greek Community in London bought some land in the cemetery, and in 1872 further land was bought for the erection of a chapel. The parish of St. Mary-at-Hill in the City of London also bought a plot, in 1847.
The cemetery was taken over by the London Borough of Lambeth in 1966.