This record is held by Manchester Archives and Local Studies

Details of M537
Reference: M537

M537/1/1-19 INCUMBENT


M537/1/1. Baptism Registers, 1872 - 1927


M537/1/2. Marriage Registers, 1873-1971


M537/1/3. Banns Books, 1883-1896, 1939-1979


M537/1/4. Confirmation Register, 1931-1952


M537/1/5. Registers of Services, 1872-1969


M537/1/6. Service Sheets, c 1900-1975


M537/1/7. Official Parochial Registers, 1892-1912


M537/1/[8. Papers Relating to Boundaries - not deposited]


M537/1/9. Terrier and Inventory, 1905


M537/1/[10. Parsonage - not deposited but see M537/3/2]


M537/1/11. Scrapbook of Rev. A.D. Powell, 1892-1912


M537/1/12. Circular letters from Incumbent, 1892-1899


M537/1/[13. Magazines - not deposited]


M537/1/14. Year Book, 1952


M537/1/15. Histories, 1922-1972


M537/1/16. Photographs of Clergy, c 1912


M537/1/17. Photos of Church, c 1905-1954


M537/1/18. Copies of Photos of Fallowfield, c 1900


M537/1/19. Copy of Photo of Presentation of a Cup, c 1900




M537/2/1. Analysed Accounts, 1913-1929, 1952-1965


M537/2/2-3 Bank Pass Books, 1917-1932


M537/2/4. Pew Rent Accounts, 1928-1952


M537/2/5. Bazaar Balance Sheet, 1928


M537/2/ [6. Faculties - not deposited]


M537/2/7. Report on Condition of the Church, 1893


M537/2/8. Description of the Windows, post 1898


M537/2/9. Repairs, c 1915


M537/2/10. Redecoration, 1921


M537/2/11. Restoration, 1947


M537/2/12. Plans of Proposed Alterations, 1980-1981


M537/2/13. Inventories, post 1967




M537/3/1. Minutes of Committee for Erecting the Church, 1868-1874


M537/3/2. Minutes of Committee for Erecting the Parsonage, 1875-1879


M537/3/3. Minutes of Committee, for Vestry and New Schools, 1879-1884


M537/3/4. Minutes of Committee for Erecting a Church Spire and Purchasing a Bell, 1887-1888


M537/3/5. Minutes of Church Repair Fund Committee, 1893-1895


M537/3/6. Minutes of Vestry, Church Council and Annual Parochial Meetings, 1898-1941


M537/3/7. Parochial Church Council Minutes, 1920-1945


M537/3/8. Church Officers Minutes, 1904-1920, 1926-1951


M537/3/9. Active Service Committee Minutes, 1939-1946


M537/4/1-5 SOCIETIES (see also M537/1/11)


M537/4/1. Fallowfield Boys' Club Photo of War Memorial, c 1920


M537/4/2-5 Sixteen Plus Club Minutes, 1938-1941, and Miscellaneous Papers, 1948-1949




M537/5/1. Teachers Minutes, 1907-1917, 1951-1961


M537/5/2. Information for Guidance of Teachers, c 1905


M537/5/3. Scrapbook, c 1937


M537/6/1-9 DAY SCHOOLS


M537/6/1. Accounts for New Schools, Wilmslow Rd., 1883-1922


M537/6/2-5 Schools Extension Fund Minutes and Accounts, 1909-1911


M537/6/6. School Management Committee Minutes, 1911-1933


M537/6/7. Fallowfield C. of E. Central School for Girls Managers' Minutes, 1927-1958


M537/6/8-9 Fallowfield C. of E. Technical High School for Girls, from 1967 Fallowfield C. of E. High School for Girls Miscellaneous Papers, 1961-1967

Date: 1872-1981
Related material:

The Archives Department also has a faculty for the transfer of pews from Holy Innocents to St. Alban's, Cheetwood, 1955 (M475/2/12/14), and papers relating to the formation of the parish, 1873 (M315/1/16), and alteration of its boundaries, 1900 (M315/1/19/1,2) and 1929 (M315/1/21).

Held by: Manchester Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Church of England, Birch Holy Innocents Parish, Greater Manchester

Physical description: 6 sub-fonds
Immediate source of acquisition:

The following records were deposited in the Library as Diocesan Record Office in May 1987 by Rev. W.G. Wilson.

Administrative / biographical background:

On 17 September 1868 a meeting of local dignatories took place to consider building a church for Fallowfield (see M537/3/1). Land was given by Lord Egerton and the foundation stone laid on 4 June 1870. The church of Holy Innocents opened for services on 4 June 1872 and was consecrated on 28 December 1872.


A District was assigned from St. Paul's, Withington, and St, James, Birch in Rusholme, by Order in Council, 30 August 1873, (London Gazette, 2 Septembr 1873).


In 1898 part of the parish was assigned to St. Werburgh's, Chorlton cum Hardy, by Order in Council 9 August (London Gazette, 12 August 1898)


In 1900 part was assigned to St. Chad's, Ladybarn, by Order in Council, 7 August (London Gazette, 14 August 1900).


By Order in Council, 10 May 1905 (London Gazette, 12 May), part of the parish was assigned to Christ Church, Moss Side, and part to St. Margaret's Burnage.


In 1916 by Order in Council, 21 March (London Gazette, 21 March) part was assigned to St. Crispin's, Withington, which received a further portion in 1929 by Order in Council, 5 November (London Gazette, 8 November. By this Order in Council Holy Innocents received part of the parish of St. Chad's, Ladybarn.


A Bishop's Order, 17 January 1975, (London Gazette, 31 January) allowed the benefices of Holy Innocents, Fallowfield, and St. James, Birch in Rusholme to be held in plurality.


In 1978 the two parishes were united as Birch with Fallowfield, by Order in Council, 20 December, (London Gazette, 22 December, 1978). Holy Innocents became the parish church of the united parish.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research