This record is held by East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO)

Details of PAR369
Reference: PAR369

Summary of contents




Parish registers


PAR369/1/2 Baptism registers; 1828-1970


PAR369/1/3 Marriage registers; 1828-1969


PAR369/1/4 Banns registers; 1828-1970


PAR369/1/5 Burial registers; 1828-1900


PAR369/3 Service registers; 1828-1963


PAR369/4 Buildings; 1833-1979


PAR369/5 Licences; 1845-1957


PAR369/7 Other records; 1418, [1751]-1963




PAR369/10 Property; 1836-1981




PAR369/12 Minutes; 1753-1908




PAR369/14 Minutes; 1930-1970




PAR369/21 Tithe; 1848


PAR369/24 CHARITIES; 1749-1971


PAR369/25 SCHOOLS; 1897-1947


PAR369/26 OTHER RECORDS; 1723-1846


PAR369/29 CONSTABLES; 1843-1850




PAR369/30 Rates; 1674-1848


PAR369/31 Accounts; 1743-1851




PAR369/32/1 Indemnity bonds and certificates; 1708-1790


PAR369/32/2 Removal orders from parish; 1725-1850


PAR369/32/3 Removal orders to parish; 1711-1864


PAR369/32/4 Examinations; 1774-1864


PAR369/32/5 Other records; 1820-1843


PAR369/33 Apprenticeship; 1704-1844




PAR369/34/1 Examinations; 1777


PAR369/34/2 Warrants to arrest putative fathers; 1810-1831


PAR369/34/3 Indemnity agreements; 1732-1745


PAR369/34/5 Other records; 1828


PAR369/36 Militia; 1804-1813


PAR369/37 Other records; 1715-1902


PAR369/38 Post-1834 records; 1837-1860




PAR369/39 Rates; 1835


PAR369/41 Other records; 1835-1894

Date: 1418-1981
Related material:

For the antiquarian notebooks of William Herbert including drawings of the excavations at Hastings Castle prior to the building of Pelham Crescent, 1820-1824, see AMS 6113; for personal accounts of the rector Richard Nairn, 1725-1738, with accounts and distribution-lists of sacrament money, 1725-1735, see Henry Huntington Library, San Marino, California, USA, BA Vol 14; for Nairn's accounts of surplice fees, 1729-1740, lists of marriages licences granted, 1730-1733, account of tithes on the mackerel fishery, 1729-1739, accounts of tithes for Hastings St Clement, All Saints and Castle, 1729-1740, accounts of briefs, 1729-1740, accounts of tithes for all Hastings parishes, including fishery tithes arranged by boat-owner, 1651-1652, see Henry Huntington Library, BA Vol 14; for the papers of the Revd George Griffin Stonestreet concerning the advowson and tithes of Hastings St Mary-in-the-Castle, 1821-1825: letters from Thomas Fuller, William Coppard, George Capron, John Buckner, Robert Willimott, William Leeves and John Goldsworthy Shorter; copies of documents, 1274-1589, formerly listed as PAR369/6/1, see AMS 6262.

Held by: East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO), not available at The National Archives
Former reference in its original department: PAR369
Language: English

Church of England, Hastings St Mary-in-the-Castle Parish, East Sussex

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by Incumbent and PCC 29 October 1977 (ACC 1640), 19 August 1987 (ACC 4900), 3 February 1988 (ACC 4976), 10 February 1992 (ACC 5842), June 2002 (ACC 7029)

Custodial history:

From 1953 to 1973 the parish records of Hastings All Saints, Hastings St Clements, Hastings St Mary in the Castle, St Leonards and Westham were held at Hastings Museum, which was not a Diocesan Record Office. While at the museum these records were augmented, under the same references, from other sources, chiefly the administrative records of Hastings Borough Council and of firms of solicitors who acted as vestry clerks, but also documents recovered by the museum from wartime salvage and acquired by purchase. These composite records were transferred to ESRO in 1973 and listed in PAR classes without attention being drawn to their mixed provenance.Former parish records of other parishes in greater Hastings which had passed, with the administrative functions to which they relate, to Hastings Corporation, were also transferred to ESRO in 1973 and included in the lists of the records of those parishes.The close involvement of the Corporation and its Town Clerk in the administration of the poor law, partly caused by the survival of the ancient parishes of St Andrew and St Mary in the Castle as administrative units but without parish officers, also resulted in many settlement certificates and removal orders being addressed to or issued by the Town of Hastings rather than by individual parishes. Where that is the case, on transfer to ESRO the documents were allotted to the parish of Hastings All Saints.Since evidence for what was done and for the sources of the additional material is almost entirely lacking, no documents have been removed from these fonds. But it must be remembered that they are in part artificial creations rather than the organic archives of the parishes concerned. For papers formerly PAR369/6/1, see AMS 6262.

  • Hastings, East Sussex
  • Religious institutions
Administrative / biographical background:

The church was built in 1828 by the Earl of Chichester to the designs of Joseph Kay, part of the cliff to the south of the castle being cut away to form the site for it and Pelham Crescent. It closed in 1970, after which it became the Hastings Temple of the Assemblies of God. It was subsequently re-opened as an theatre and arts centre.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research