This accumulation was received in two separate trunks and was found upon examination to consist of two distinct family holdings, one trunk relating to the Samborne family of Timsbury, the other to the Savage family of Midsomer Norton and this distinction has been maintained in this catalogue, as the list of contents above will show. Both families had long associations with their respective parishes and the link between the two at a comparatively recent date will be made clear below.
The records surviving show the Savage family established in Midsomer Norton from at least the Restoration and the following outline pedigree (which could be extended by more detailed examination of the collection) traces the main family line for over two hundred years
The Samborne family had been even longer at Timsbury, for the earliest reference in the collection is to the partition of Lisle estates in 1546 when the manor of Timsbury (inter alia) fell to John Samborne. The manorial lordship was sold to Alexander Popham in 1658, but the mansion house and demesne lands were retained. The male line of Samborne died out with the death of Thomas Samborne in 1723 and the Timsbury House estate eventually passed to the family of his nephew, Thomas Palmer, much, if not all, of it being re-united in the hands of Samborne Stucley Palmer in the early 19th century (Thomas Samborne bequeathed one third shares in his Timsbury estates to his sisters Mary (later Bull) and Martha and his nephew Thomas Palmer. These shares eventually all vested in the latter and he left two thirds to his grandson, Samborne Palmer, and one third ultimately to his daughter, Mary Barns Palmer (later Smith) - see DD\SA6 for the attempt to put his wishes in this respect on a regular and legal footing. Probably all Mary's share eventually returned to Samborne Palmer's son (see DD\SA9)). He assumed the additional name Samborne in 1840 and it was his sister Elizabeth Ann who married Thomas Savage in 1822.
Elizabeth Ann Savage, by her will (proved 1887) left a life interest in her estates to Anna Maria Frances Leeds, with remainder to Augustus Rowley Brooke Leeds, but if he should die without a son then the estate passed absolutely to her nephew Samborne Stucley Palmer Samborne. The first and last named both died in 1904 and A.R.B. Leeds died in 1922 without leaving a son and John Stucley Palmer Samborne inherited, as son of S.S.P. Samborne.
The Savage section of the records were, presumably, received at this date, although the Savage real estate had largely been sold in 1888 [see DD\SA42], apart from certain coal interests.