This record is held by Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre

Details of DD/815
Reference: DD/815
Date: 1856-1993





Minutes of Governing body, 1866-1956


Committee minutes, agenda, reports and attendance book, c1880-1978


Annual reports, 1856-1947


Charter, rules and by-laws, 1890-1947


Financial and property records, 1895-1959


Appeals and fund raising, [1873]-1932


Supply records, 1953-1989


Chapel of St Michael and All Angels, 1926-1937


Staff records: Nursing staff and training, 1874-1969


Staff records: Medical staff and training, 1907-1952


West London Hospital Ladies' Association, 1903-c1920


Papers relating to Miss A J Beatty, 1897-1908


Plans, 1950-1954


Press cuttings, 1936-1979


Photographs, c1860-1991


Commemorative material, 1931-1993


Histories and historical notes, 1860-[1967]


Handbooks, 1960-1974


Artifacts and Pictures, 20thc

Held by: Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

West London Hospital

  • Health services
Administrative / biographical background:

The West London Hospital had its origins in the Fulham and Hammersmith General Dispensary, a small six-roomed house in Queen Street, Hammersmith, opened on 2 July 1856. It was established to provide medical attention for the poor of the district and was supported entirely by voluntary subscription. Increasing demand on the service led to the need for larger premises and, in 1860, a lease was taken on Elm Tree House, Hammersmith Road. The first in-patients, mostly victims of serious industrial accidents, were admitted in October 1860 to the renamed The West of London Hospital and Dispensary.


In 1863 the hospital took the title of the West London Hospital and in 1868 purchased the leasehold of Elm Tree House after a public appeal. The building was enlarged and new wings added in 1871, 1883 and 1898. Expansion continued in the 20th century, notably the Silver Jubilee Extension, a new block on the eastern corner of the hospital, opened in 1937 by HM Queen Mary.


The West London Hospital was granted a Royal Charter on 1 November 1894. The institution enjoyed royal patronage throughout its history, the most long serving supporter being HRH Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester, who became its President in 1938.


The teaching activities of the West London Hospital progressed from a small postgraduate centre in 1893 to a large undergraduate school, incorporated in 1937. After the National Health Service Act the hospital was amalgamated with Hammersmith and St Mark's Hospitals under a Board of Governors as a postgraduate group and the last entry of undergraduate medical students took place in October 1948. From 1951 postgraduate teaching became the main activity.


Training for nursing staff commenced in the 1880s and, when state registration was introduced in the early 1920s, the hospital was approved as a General Training School. The Abercorn Nurses' Home opened in 1918 and the School of Nursing continued until the late 1960s.


In the early 1970s the West London Hospital ceased to be a District General Hospital when Accident and Emergency services moved to the new Charing Cross Hospital, Fulham Palace Road. The West London Hospital became renowned for its maternity services.


The West London Hospital closed in 1993 and its services moved to the new Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, Fulham Road.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research