Records of St John, Halley Street, Limehouse Fields, Stepney deposited by the Rector of St Dunstan's, Stetney, in the London County Record Office. County Hall, S.2.1, 22 November 1955 (Ac.55.124)
Further records (P93/JN1/67-101) of St John the Evangelist, later St Matthew and St John and then St John with St Matthew, Limehouse Fields, Stepney, deposited by the Rector of St Dunstan, Stepney in the Greater London Record Office, then at the County Hall, London, SE1 7PB and now at 40 Northampton Road, London, EC1R 0HB, 10 March 1977 (Ac. 77.30)
Church of England, St Luke Parish, Stepney
Church of England, St John and St Matthew Parish, Stepney
Administrative / biographical background:
St John's was bombed in 1940 and services held for a time in St Luke, Burdett Road. In 1948 a small temporary church was built on the site of St John's, dedicated to St Matthew and St John, to serve St John's and St Matthew, Salmon Lane parishes. The name was changed in 1951 to St John and St Matthew.
It is advisable to consult the records of the two parishes in conjunction, for the post-1945 period.