West Riding of Yorkshire Miners Permanent Relief Fund Friendly Society
The collection consists of administrative and financial records of the Society including minutes of meetings, annual reports and conference papers.
The collection is housed at Barnsley Archives and Local Studies Service.
The collection has been divided into 10 sections:
Accounts and Minutes, Correspondence and Ephemera, Reports, Photographs, Press Cuttings, Other Miners Permanent Relief Funds, Central Association for Miners Permanent Relief Societies, Central Association for Dealing with Distress caused by Mining Accidents, Northumberland and Durham Miners Permanent Relief Fund and Miscellaneous. Each section has been arranged in a chronological order.
West Riding of Yorkshire Miner's Permanent Relief Fund
32 boxes, 360 volumes
The collection consists of boxed materials and volumes. Some of the material is very fragile as it has been damaged by fire.
Immediate source of acquisition:
The material was donated by Mr. J. Levi, Secretary of the West Riding of Yorkshire Miners Permanent Relief Fund Friendly Society, Victoria Road, Barnsley on 7 November 1986, with an additional deposit on 16 April 1987.
Thornhill Colliery Explosion Relief Fund
Swaithe Main Colliery Explosion Relief Fund
Central Association of Miners Permanent Relief Societies
Central Association for Dealing with Disasters Caused by Mining Accidents
Oaks Colliery Explosion Relief Fund
Northumberland and Durham Miners Permanent Relief
West Riding of Yorkshire
Organisations and management
Administrative / biographical background:
The West Riding of Yorkshire Miners Permanent Relief Fund Friendly Society was established to provide, by contributions of ordinary members and by voluntary subscriptions and donations from honorary members, payment of a sum at death for fatal accidents to widows and orphan children of ordinary members killed by accident. It also provided financial assistance to members suffering from non-fatal accidents or industrial diseases such as Miners' Nystagmus.
The Society was established on 23rd January 1877 and held its offices at 32 Church Street, Barnsley. The first President of the West Riding of Yorkshire Miners Permanent Relief Fund was the Earl Fitzwilliam. Its Vice Presidents included the Earl of Wharncliffe, Lord Houghton, T.F.C.V. Wentworth and the Reverend Henry J. Day. Reverend Day founded the Society when he wrote a letter to the Barnsley Chronicle appealing for a Fund to be set up. William Watson contacted Day to arrange a meeting after reading his letter. The Fund was launched that same day. Within two months the Society had 2,000 members from 21 branches. The Fund was wound up in 1988.
The first Miners' Permanent Relief Fund to be formed was the Northumberland and Durham Miners' Permanent Relief Fund in 1862 after the Hartley Disaster of that year. Before the West Riding of Yorkshire Miners Permanent Relief Fund was formed relief funds were raised after a disaster. The first one in the Barnsley district was the Oaks Explosion of 1847.