Date of deposit: Presumed c 1944 (at Reference Library, Mare Street)
Deposited by: The Nursery
Administrative / biographical background:
There had been an earlier day nursery in Hackney, according to the opening programme, which had existed prior to 1921, and was called the John Day Day Nursery. This had closed in 1921, and surrendered its equipment and furniture to Hackney Borough Council, on the understanding that the Council would institute a municipal day nursery. The Council put proposals to the Ministry of Health, but these were vetoed and nothing was done.
The initiative for the Hackney Day Nursery came from the Rector of Hackney, the Rev. N.A.Lash, who pleaded with the local Rotary Club. They in turn, donated £100 towards the project, and it was supported by the Rotary Club of Hackney Ladies Inner Wheel. Premises were acquired from the Spurstowe Trust in Sylvester Path, next to the Spurstowe Almshouses, and repaired and adapted by A.Rubens Cole, architect.
Throughout its existence the Day Nursery Committee was chaired by C.Fisher Yates, also a Mayor of Hackney. It employed a matron and had a visiting doctor. Charges were 10d per day per child, or 1s 4d for two children from the same family. It aimed to cater for the children of working mothers. The Nursery closed briefly at the begining of the Second World War, but soon reopened. It finally ceased to exist on 1 May 1943, having been taken over by Hackney Borough Council, who were to continue the service.