John Lockwood began the business in 1874 as a linsey manufacturer, at Leys, Longwood, by engaging hand loom weavers and having yarn spun on commission.
About 1881 the firm moved to Parkwood Mills, Longwood and in 1891 Scarbottom Mills, which were formerly occupied by the firm of Fieldings, were purchased.
Up to this time all the goods were dried outside on tenters in a field at Leys, and the finished pieces were made up and sent away from there. Following the purchase of Scarbottom Mills, the outside tenters were discarded and all the goods were dried and finished at the mill, where the full process from beginning to end was carried out.
The business increased so quickly that building extentions had to be made and new machinery installed about 1895. In 1899 the company was incorporated.
In 1903 the firm purchased Holme Mills, Golcar, formerly occupied by Robert Taylor and Co.
The firm was still in the 1971-1972 Yorkshire Textile Directory but by June 1972 Scarbottom Mill was sold for redevelopment.