Transferred to the Royal London Hospital Archives by the Secretary of the "Marie Celeste" Samaritan Society on 15th October 1984.
Administrative / biographical background:
This Society was founded in 1838; in 1868 it moved its offices to Great Winchester Street. Although the Society contrived to relieve a number of deserving cases every year, it was never able to achieve financial stability. In 1879 its remaining assets were transferred to the Samaritan Society, by authority of the Charity Commission.