Email service disruption: Due to planned maintenance our email messaging service will be unavailable for periods this weekend (25-26 September). For confirmation of digital download orders, record copying and paid search requests, visit the order confirmation page.
This collection covers the period between 1906 and 1972, the period between the formation of the limited company and the takeover by Spencer Rotherham. The records are mainly financial and legal, with some correspondence files. A related series of trade catalogues is held by Hackney Museum.
A. Norman and Sons Ltd., 1906, Shoreditch, footwear wholesalers and manufacturers
Immediate source of acquisition:
Date of deposit: March 1993
Deposited by BRA
Condition of deposit: Donation
Administrative / biographical background:
The firm of A. Norman and Sons Limited, footwear wholesalers and later manufacturers, had its origins in the firm of Norman and Sons Boot and Shoe Factors of 34, 36 and 38 Kingsland Road, established in 1863 by Albert Norman. In 1906 the firm became a limited company (D/B/NOR/1/3) with members of the Norman family as major shareholders and directors. By 1927 the firm had moved to 110, 111 and 112 Shoreditch High Street, premises with which it remained associated until 1983. From these premises the company conducted business as general factors, supplying footwear of all types of retailers all over the United Kingdom. In 1950 the company acquired a manufacturing arm through the acquisition a Borough Shoes Limited, of Higham Ferres Northants, formerly A. Sudborough and Son Limited. By 1965 a warehouse at 112-120 Tower Hamlets Road, Forest Gate, had been added to the company's assets. (D/B/NOR/3/2). By 1971, the last year for which an annual report survives, the company had a turnover of £865,156. (D/B/NOR/1/5(28).
The Norman family remained associated with the company until 1972, when the company was taken over by Spencer Rotherham Limited, textile and general wholesalers, also of Shoreditch High Street. (D/B/NOR/3/5).