Catalogue description Newcastle Dispensary
This record is held by Tyne and Wear Archives
HO.ND/1 Management Committee minutes, 1957 - 1976 (1 volume)
HO.ND/2/1-4 Management Committee agendas, 1893 - 1919 (4 volumes)
HO.ND/3/1-33 Annual reports, 1777 - 1872, 1881 - 1906, 1918, 1930 - 1933, 1942 - 1953, 1958 - 1969 (6 volumes, 27 booklets)
HO.ND/4/1-2 Cash books, 1959 - 1980 (2 volumes)
HO.ND/5 Copy agreement for the sale and purchase of 116, 117/119, New Bridge Street, Newcastle, 1927 (1 file)
HO.ND/6 Papers relating to the proposal for the amalgamation of the Dispensary and the Newcastle upon Tyne Hospital for Diseases of the Skin, or the takeover of the latter by the former, 1937 - 1939 (6 files)
HO.ND/7 Sale particulars, 14 Nelson Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1927. (1 printed paper)
HO.ND/8 Pro forma letter of recommendation to the Dispensary, n.d. [1950's] (1 printed paper)
HO.ND/9/1-2 Newspaper cuttings albums, 1927 - 1976 (1 volume, 1 booklet)
See also, History of Newcastle Dispensary in Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th series, vol. XVIII, 1990, by F.J.W. Miller.
|Held by:||Tyne and Wear Archives, not available at The National Archives|
|Physical description:||9 SERIES|
|Immediate source of acquisition:||
Accession 604 (part), 875, 1547 (part), 2444, 2633 (part).
|Administrative / biographical background:||
The Dispensary was established in April 1777 and funded through subscriptions, gifts and legacies. Its first site was in The Side but in 1782 or 1783 it moved to Pilgrim Street where it remained until 1790. For the next fifty years the Trustees leased a building in Low Friar Chare. At the expiry of the lease, the Dispensary moved to 14 Nelson Street, where it remained until 1928. Its final move was to 115 New Bridge Street which was still its home when it finally closed in 1976.
|Link to NRA Record:|
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know