Catalogue description ST LUKE'S, CHEETHAM

This record is held by Manchester Archives and Local Studies

Details of M339
Reference: M339

M339/1/1-14 INCUMBENT


M339/1/1. Baptism Registers, 1839-1961


M339/1/2. Marriage Registers, 1840-1958


M339/1/3. Burial Registers, 1840-1932


M339/1/4. Banns Books, 1841-1888, 1921-1977


M339/1/6. Registers of Services, 1858-1963


M339/1/7. Service Sheets, 1939-47


M339/1/8. Churchyard Plan (photo), n.d.


M339/1/9. Monumental Inscriptions


M339/1/10. Parish Magazines, 1903-1913, 1954, 1961-1981


M339/1/11. Newsheets of St. Luke, Trinity and Jesus Family Ecumenical Project, 1981-1983


M339/1/12. Newsheets of Trinity United Church in the Parish of St. Luke's, 1983-1984


M339/1/13. History, 1939


M339/1/14. Mission Church Register of Services




M339/2/1. Accounts, 1873-1912


M339/2/2. Analysis of Accounts, 1940-1962


M339/2/3. Bills, 1839-1849, 1880-1907


M339/2/4. Offertories, 1912-1913, 1918-1922, 1930-1932, 1939-1943, 1950-1966


M339/2/5. Declaration of Parochial Income, 1957-1959


M339/2/6. Plans, 1836-1839


M339/2/7. Rural Deans Visitations, 1967




M339/3/1. Minutes, 1933-58


M339/3/2. Electoral Rolls, 1975-1983


M339/5/1-2 DAY SCHOOL


M339/5/1. Minutes, 1913-1929


M339/5/2. Accounts, 1936-1949

Date: 1836-1983
Related material:

The Archives Department also has Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Papers (Msf 942.72 R121 vol. 39) which include Visitation Returns for the church and school, 1846, plan of church, n.d., copy declaration of patronage, 5 Oct. 1839, school balance sheet, 1851, elevated drawing of the school, n.d., and miscellaneous notes; draft scheme for transferring part of the parish to St. Thomas's, Crumpsall, 1873 (M438/1/7/2) and proposals for amalgamating St. Luke's with St. John's and St. Mark's, Cheetham, 1982 (M387/1/8/6).

Held by: Manchester Archives and Local Studies, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Church of England, Cheetham St Luke Parish, Greater Manchester

Physical description: 106 Files
Immediate source of acquisition:

The following records were deposited in the Library as Diocesan Record Office in May 1979, October 1980, September 1981, September 1983, June and August 1984, and April and May 1985.


Additional records of the Parish of St Luke, Cheetham


Deposited by Rev Dr C S Ford March 2000 (Accession 2000/41)


M339/6 were deposited in the Library in August 1991 by Captain A. Richardson, formerly Church Army Captain at St. Luke's.

  • Cheetham, Lancashire
  • Cheetham, Greater Manchester
Administrative / biographical background:

The foundation stone of St. Luke's was laid on 29 June 1836, and the church consecrated on 6 October 1839.


It was assigned a District from the parish of Manchester, by Bishop's Instrument, 7 February 1840, which was defined by Order in Council, 24 June 1856 (London Gazette 1 July).


Part of the parish was assigned to St. Mary's, Crumpsall, by Order in Council, 26 October 1860 (London Gazette, 30 October), and part to St. Thomas, Lower Crumpsall, by Order in Council, 10 June 1864 (London Gazette, 14 June).


In 1872, by Order in Council, 10 May (London Gazette, 14 May) St. John the Evangelist, Cheetham, was formed from St. Luke's, and in 1873 more of the parish was transferred to St. Thomas, Crumpsall, by Order in Council, 30 August (London Gazette, 2 September 1873).


In 1977 it was decided to demolish St. Luke's except for the tower. The last service was held on 16 October 1977 and the following week services began in the Trinity United Reformed Church, Greenhill Road. At the end of 1981 St. Luke's combined with Trinity United Reformed church and the Jesus Family in an ecumenical project.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research