In September 1903, a public meeting held in Rossington Street School, Denaby Main, resolved to 'build and maintain a cottage hospital at Denaby Main for the workmen employed by the Denaby and Cadeby Main collieries'. It was to be supported by weekly contributions from employees. A ballot in the following month produced a result of 2,440 in favour of financing a hospital and 970 against.
Prior to this, the Montagu Hospital at Mexborough (see Doncaster Archives, reference HR/8 and DZ/MZ/51) was the nearest hospital, but was not large enough to meet the needs of the area, especially after the opening of the second colliery, the Cadeby Main, near Denaby Main colliery village. The new hospital was built on a site given to the trustees by Mr Fullerton of Thrybergh Hall and was consequently given his name.
A copy of the rules of the Fullerton Hospital dated 1931 can be found at Doncaster Archives reference DD/MF/1/61 and a photograph of staff and officials from the 1920s or 1930s has the Doncaster Archives reference DZ/MD/430.
The archives of the Doncaster Community Health Council contain records relating to the closure of the hospital [Doncaster Archives references CHC/1/10, 3/6 and 7]. The papers of J E MacFarlane include records relating to the local campaign to retain this hospital and certain services at the Mexborough Montagu Hospital [Doncaster Archives reference DD/MF/11/1-15].