Catalogue description Records of the East Anglian Sanatorium Company Ltd.; the East Anglian Sanatorium, Maltings Farm Sanatorium and East Anglian Children's Sanatorium, Nayland; the British Legion Village, Nayland, and the British Legion Sanatorium, Nayland. (Later, the Jane Walker Hospital)

This record is held by Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch

Details of ID 507
Reference: ID 507
Title: Records of the East Anglian Sanatorium Company Ltd.; the East Anglian Sanatorium, Maltings Farm Sanatorium and East Anglian Children's Sanatorium, Nayland; the British Legion Village, Nayland, and the British Legion Sanatorium, Nayland. (Later, the Jane Walker Hospital)
Date: 1899 - 1962
Held by: Suffolk Record Office, Bury St Edmunds Branch, not available at The National Archives
Language: English
Creator:

Jane Walker Hospital, Nayland

Immediate source of acquisition:

Acc. No. 7812, 7965

Subjects:
  • Naylan, Suffolk
  • Health services
Administrative / biographical background:

In 1896 Dr Jane Walker (1859-1938) opened a centre at Downham Market (Norfolk) for the fresh-air treatment of consumption. The demand for places was greater than could be met there and at a few other small locations and in 1899 the East Anglian Sanatorium Company Limited was set up: Malting and Sand Pits Farms in Nayland and Wissington were purchased in the same year and a new sanatorium - the East Anglian Sanatorium - was opened on 22 January 1901 with Dr Walker as Medical Superintendent.

 

The sanatorium took private patients only but in 1904 a department for poor patients was opened (Maltings Farm Sanatorium). During and immediately after the First World War the male patients at Maltings Farm were almost all ex-servicemen.

 

Between 1912 and 1916 a separate section for children was established - the East Anglian Children's Sanatorium.

 

The three sanatoria - run as three separate bodies, but sharing a site, and under the same management - were transferred from 1 May 1943 to the British Legion and renamed the British Legion Village, Nayland: under the National Health Service it was known as the British Legion Sanatorium until its closure as a chest hospital on 5 May 1959.

 

After 1959 the site became a hospital for the mentally handicapped and was renamed the Jane Walker Hospital.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research