EM/A/1, 2, EM/C/1 and EM/M/1/11. 18 and 19 were transferred by the East: London Hospital Management Committee to Tower Hamlets Central: Library before 1974 and by the Library to Tower Hamlets Health Authority Archives on 13th June 1985. The remaining records were transferred from Mile End Hospital.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Hospital was founded in 1884 as the Mother's Lying-in Hospital in Glamis Road, Shadwell. The name was changed in 1928. in 1930 it had about 60 beds. During the Second World War the Hospital occupied premises at Hill Hall, Essex, and Tyringham House. With the advent of the National Health Service, in 1948, it became part of the Stepney Group of Hospitals, which was merged in 1966 to form the East London Group. The Hospital was closed in 1968.