The idea of a subscription library in Wednesbury was proposed to the Borough Free Library Committee by the Borough Librarian. It was founded in 1889 and had a close connection with the free library. Mr Stanley, librarian of the free library, was also appointed librarian of the subscription library. An arrangement was set up whereby the subscription library was to hand over all books to the free library after two years, in return for which accomodation for the subscription library was provided within the public buildings.
The subscription library closed in 1940 due to shortage of members.