By her will of 29 July 1787, Elizabeth Mary Docton (1721-1801), of St Budeaux, Devon, gave £100 to the parish in trust for the establishment of a Poor house. The trustees of her estate were granted the church green Poor house at St Budeaux for use as a charity school. By 1833 there were two school buildings, the later one being situated at Bull Point, St Budeaux. In 1834 both schools were united with the National Society, which meant that the scholars had to attend Church of England services on Sundays. The charity held shares and property in Pennycross, Plymouth.