Hope Chapel was formed through a dispute over open communion at Morice Square Baptist Church, Devonport.
In 1852 Thomas Horton, who had been pastor at Morice Square for 31 years, announced his intention to form another church on the principles of open communion.
At first Horton and his break-away congregation rented Mount Street Independent Chapel, Devonport, but in 1854 a new one was built in Fore Street and named Hope Chapel. It was developed over the years and by 1883 the Devonport Independent could say, "this place of worship with its block of adjoining offices for the carrying on the work of the Sunday schools, etc, is one of the most conveniently and nicely arranged institutions in the Three Towns."
In 1924 the church was sold to the Wesleyan Methodists (becoming their Central Hall) and the congregation moved to temporary premises at Pounds House. By the beginning of 1928 a new building had been erected in Peverell Park Road and this continues in use today.