This collection comprises records from the Liverpool Building Society itself and a number of the building societies that it took over. All the building societies were Liverpool based and the collection is an excellent source for charting the development of home ownership in the Merseyside area.
The first two accessions were deposited by the secretary of Liverpool Building Society and the third subsequent to the take-over by the secretary of Birmingham & Midshires Building Society. The address for both being, 375 Stanley Road, Bootle, L20 2H5.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Liverpool Building Society was founded in 1877, as the Liverpool Investment Building Society, with the stated intention to form in Liverpool a building society on a similar basis to the Halifax Permanent Benefit Building Society. In 1968 the name of the society was changed to the Liverpool Building Society.
Prior to 1955 the society's funds were, in the main, generated through the head office at Investment Buildings, 57A-63 Lord Street, Liverpool, and then lent to additional outlets throughout the country including one London branch. However the 1950's brought a growing number of people wanting to own their own home and this system could not cope with the demand. This, coupled with the success of the Merseyside branches, led to the opening of new local offices at Wallasey, Heswall, Mossley Hill and Birkenhead.
At this time, the society aimed to bolster its own position by taking over smaller local building societies. These included St Nicholas Permanent Benefit Building Society (LBS 334/2) in 1958, Clarence Building Society (LBS 334/3) in 1959, Huskisson Building Society (LBS 334/4) in 1960, St Peters Building Society (LBS 334/5) in 1961, Stanley Building Society (LBS 334/6) in 1962, Dalton & Furness Building Society (LBS 334/7) and the Patriotic Building Society (LBS 334/8) both in 1966 and the City of Liverpool Building Society in 1968.
In 1972 the head office of the society moved from Investment Buildings to 375 Stanley Road, Bootle, Liverpool.
In the early part of the 1980's the Liverpool Building Society was itself taken over by the Birmingham & Midshires Building Society.