This volume was transferred from the Public Record Office to the Archives, together with the records of the Stepney Group Hospital Management Committee on 6th August 1985.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Hospital was erected in 1871 by the Board of Guardians, under the provisions of the Metropolitan Poor Act, 1867. A Nurse Training School was established in 1893. In 1930, when it passed to the London County Council, it had 406 beds. With the establishment of the National Health Service in 1948 it was transferred to the Stepney Group Hospital Management Committee. The Hospital was closed in September 1956.