Catalogue description Lambeth Estate Company Limited

This record is held by Lambeth Archives

Details of IV/126
Reference: IV/126
Title: Lambeth Estate Company Limited

Directors and general meeting minutes and a memorandum

Date: 1879-1949
Held by: Lambeth Archives, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Lambeth Estate Company, Lambeth, Surrey

Physical description: 3 Files
Administrative / biographical background:

Lambeth Estate Co Ltd was incorporated on 12 January 1879 as a limited liability company with the following objects:


'To acquire by purchase, subject to the imcunbrances now subsisting upon it, a freehold and copyhold estate, situated in the Parish of St Mary, Lambeth, in the County of Surrey, and comprising land, houses, and other premises, and which estate formerly belonged to the Roupell family, and has been called the Roupell Street Estate; To improve, repair, build upon and manage the estate, and to discharge the whole or any part of the incumbrances now subsisting upon it; To lease, let, sell, and surrender from time to time the whole or portions of the estate; To acquire, if found expedient so to do, any adjoining or other freehold, leasehold, or copyhold lands, houses, or property, in the County of Surrey, and to improve, repair, build upon, manage, sell, lease, let and surrender the same, and doing all such other things as are incidental or conductive to the attainment of the above objects.'


The original subscribers to the Company were Henry A P Cooper, banker, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire; John E Bartlett, banker, Aylesbury; Richard Carter, banker, Buckingham, Buckinghamshire; Henry Hearn, solicitor, Buckingham; Elizabeth E Parrott, widow, Buckingham; Timothy E Cobb, banker, Banbury, Oxfordshire; and Henry P Cobb, solicitor, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London.


By 1891 the Company possessed 115 houses occupied by quarterly tenants, 21 houses occupied by weekly and monthly tenants and 1 factory occupied by a Mr Granville. These were situated in Roupell Street, Broadwall and Cromwell Road in Lambeth. 4 more houses were leased in Hatfield Place in 1892. The houses in Cromwell Road were rebuilt in 1892 into 4-storied houses.


The Company's registered offices were transferred in 1904 from 22 Whittlesey Street to 53 Lincoln's Inn Fields. In 1921 its freehold property in Hatfield Street, let on lease to George Newnes Ltd (publishers and printers) was sold. Between 1933 and 1934 a vacant site on the corner of Roupell Street and Broadwall was developed into a dwelling house and a shop.


The Company in 1957 was receiving just over £13,000 in rents and still possessed flats in Whittlesey Street and the Crown Engineering Works. The Lambeth Estate Co. Ltd was acquired in December 1960 by Charlwood Alliance Properties Ltd, a subsidiary of Charlwood Alliance Holdings Ltd which became part of Town & City Properties Ltd in 1971.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research