Photocopying of these records might be permitted, depending on their size and condition. Please see a member of staff.
Standard closure periods (50 years for Admission Registers, Attendance Registers and Pupil Records) apply.
Administrative / biographical background:
Arrangements for the provision of secondary education in Chadderton had been considered before the First World War, but the foundation stone for North Chadderton school was not laid until June 1924.
Chadderton Grammar School, Broadway, was opened in October 1930. It was originally a mixed-sex school, but was split into separate boy' and girls' in 1959. The old school building housed Chadderton Grammar School for Girls, while the new Chadderton Grammar School for Boys occupied a new building in Chadderton Hall Road.
In 1975 both schools became mixed-sex comprehensives: the boys grammar school becoming North Chadderton School and the girls' building the Radclyffe School. (The former North Chadderton Secondary School was split between the two new institutions).
The building on Broadway, opposite the fire station, which had been the secondary's lower school was merged with the boys' grammar school to become North Chadderton Comprehensive School.
The Hunt Lane building of the secondary school merged with the girls' grammar school to become the Mid Chadderton Comprehensive School, later known as the Radclyffe School.
New buildings were added at North Chadderton in 1975.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know