Minutes, papers relating to membership, correspondence and financial records
1937 - 1980
Many of the records had been placed in box-or soft-files. In order to preserve the integrity of the collection the contents of the files have been left intact in their original arrangement, except where it was clearly indicated that some material was of a different nature from the rest. Thus, in the following list, several 'miscellaneous' files are listed with a brief outline of their contents.
The Allied Circle records were given to Westminster in 1981.
Administrative / biographical background:
The Allied Circle began in 1941 as a series of informal meetings of members of foreign Governments and Forces, exiled in Britain during the second world war, and prominent people in British public life. They met in the home of Mrs Christine Elliot-Ware (later Mrs McNeil Robertson), the aim being to discuss the problems of the day and the principles of post-war reconstruction. The Circle was formally constituted in 1942, its expressed object being to "promote among the peoples of the United Nations, fellowship and understanding, and a better knowledge of each other's problems and national life".
In 1943 the Circle acquired 46 Green Street W1 as its headquarters where social amenities were provided. To further its aims the Circle held, at Green Street, lectures, discussions and debates (to which distinguished speakers were invited to give their views) and published a Newsletter, Journal and periodical reports. Exchange visits with other countries were arranged.
In the 1950s, and again in the early 1960s, the Circle ran into serious financial difficulties. Unable to meet its expenses, the Circle in London was finally wound-up in 1963.