Devon and Cornwall Aid for Girls Trust, Plymouth, Devon
THESE RECORDS ARE IMMEDIATELY AVAILABLE FOR RESEARCH, EXCEPT THOSE NOTED U.F.P. = UNFIT FOR PRODUCTION
Administrative / biographical background:
The school began with the gift of Elize Hele's property to charitable uses on 9 January 1632, and after his death to his heirs in trust £2000 was left by John Lanyon in his will of 15 September 1674 for the benefit of the poor people of the Hospital of Poors' Portion, Plymouth, laid out in the purchase of properties in Plymouth. The rentals of these properties were for the education and maintenance of the children. The two charities were managed by the same set of trustees. Originally Hele's charity was known as the Blue Boys. Lanyon's charity boys wore red. Much of the funds were wasted in litigation in the early 19th century.
The schools were originally intended to educate orphan children of Plymouth, but in practise they benefitted the lower middle classes. Lanyon's charity originally admitted girls. The school was housed in the Hospital of Poors' Portion when it began. The two charities merged in the 1940's.
The Devon and Cornwall Female Orphanage later the Devon and Cornwall Aid for Girls Trust began by deed on 19 May 1840. The girls entered at the age of seven. At first tuition was done privately, later they attended St. Andrews school. In 1941 the building in Lockyer Street Plymouth was destroyed in the war, and the charity ceased in 1945.