Herscells Homes, originally known as the Loughborough Park Buildings was a scheme initiated in 1876 by the congregation of Loughborough Park Chapel to provide homes for aged christians. Through loans and subscriptions land was acquired and building was completed in 1877. The homes comprised of five cottages amounting to twenty apartments for single people or couples. the homes were managed by a board of trustees to whom prospective tenants would apply. Rent was charged according to means. The main instigator of the project was the pastor of Loughborough Park Chapel Rev. D.A. Herschell, hence the change of name.
Because of the low rents and the trust's dependence on donations income was limited and the costs of maintaining the homes became an increasing burden. by the end of the 1980's some were uninhabitable and prey to squatting and burglaries. After looking at possible renovation schemes the trust decided to sell off the land and buildings to a private developer. The trust was wound up in 1996 and proceeds from the sale were distributed among like-minded christian organisations.