On November 19, 1930 a group of ladies met in the Choir Vestry of Ruskin Road Methodist Church to hear Mrs Clifford Hall of Purley Fellowship speak about the Women's Fellowship movement. A decision to start a Fellowship in Carshalton was made that evening and Mrs James, wife of the church's minister Rev. J H James, was elected President. The Fellowship became affiliated with the Sisterhood Movement in May/June 1931.
Although it had connections with Ruskin Road Methodist Church, the Fellowship was inter-denominational as well as being non-political. Its activities were spiritual, social and supportive including outings, talks and concerts. At various times it held a sewing club, clothing club and sick fund which provided presents and visits to sick members. This group of records was formerly in the possession of Mrs Davis of Carshalton. Mrs Davis was a long standing member of the Fellowship who served as a council member and held most of the offices of the society.