Catalogue description Incorporated Company of Masons, Newcastle

This record is held by Tyne and Wear Archives

Details of GU.MS
Reference: GU.MS
Title: Incorporated Company of Masons, Newcastle

GU.MS/1/1-2 Ordinaries, 1581 - 1677 (2 parchments)


GU.MS/2/1-10 Minutes, 1627 - 1959 (incomplete) (8 volumes, 10 papers)


GU.MS/3 Company constitution, 1581 (1 Parchment)


GU.MS/4 Order book, 1584 - 1712 including accounts, 1691 - 1905; apprentices 1696 - 1729 (1 volume)


For accounts see GU.MS/11/1-2


GU.MS/5 Order stating that no-one should pay more than 5s 8d for admittance to the Freedom of the Company, n.d. [c.1600s] (1 paper)


GU.MS/6 Rules, 1768, 1820 (1 paper, 1 parchment)


GU.MS/7/1-2 Admissions, 1699 - 1959 (1 file, 1 paper, 1 volume)


GU.MS/8 Letter certifying not to make a lodge without the consent of five or more of the brethren if admitted as a Freeman, signed, John Otway, Anthony Dale and Christopher Lodge, October 1689 (1 paper)


GU.MS/9 Petition of the Company to the Mayor concerning John Swann and his application for admission to freedom, n.d. [c.1700s] (1 paper)


GU.MS/10/1-11 Bonds, 1637 - 1727 (11 papers)


GU.MS/11/1-2 Accounts, 1640 - 1745 (2 volumes)


GU.MS/12 Bond for payment of £1150 and interest, 1829 (1 paper)


14 Information shown to the King by Sir John Jackson, His Majesty's attorney, against Nicholas Grant of Jesmond, 1608 (1 paper)


GU.MS/15 Nomination of John Magee and Henry Manners to serve as electors for the Company, 1688 (1 paper)


GU.MS/16-21 Papers concerning disputes between the Masons and Bricklayers, Wallers and Tylers, 1588 - 1660s (8 papers, 1 paper Latin)


GU.MS/22-23 Common Council reports and orders, 1671 - 1696 (3 papers)


GU.MS/13/1-3 Title deeds, 1641 - 1667 (2 papers, 1 parchment)


GU.MS/24-26 Records concerning the Masons rights to sell their property in the Close and Tuthill Stairs, 1902 - 1940 (3 papers, 1 file)

Date: 1581-1959
Held by: Tyne and Wear Archives, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Incorporated Company of Masons, Newcastle

Physical description: 26 SERIES
Immediate source of acquisition:

Accessions 424, 806

Administrative / biographical background:

The Masons Ordinary dates from 1581. One half of their fines was to go to the maintenance of the great bridge and the other half to the fellowship.


In 1674 they appear to have met in the White Friar Tower with the Wallers, Bricklayers and Metters. In 1742 the Company obtained from Newcastle Corporation a grant of the Cutlers Company Tower in the Carliol Croft.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research