Minutes and accounts relating to Cheltenham and District Federation Minutes, accounts, correspondence journals reports relating to Gloucester Diocesan Union. Records relating to National Council.
There are records of local groups in parish and privately deposited archives at GRO. The national CEMS records 1899-1986 are held at Lambeth Palace Library, London SE1 7JU (reference: MSS 3364-84). There is also a collection of minutes of diocesan and national committee meetings and correspondence 1963-85 at York University: Borthwick Institute of Historical Research, St Anthony's Hall, Peasholme Green, York YO1 2PW (reference: CEMS).
Church of England Men's Society, Cheltenham and District Federation, Gloucestershire, 1909-1974
Church of England Men's Society, Gloucester Diocesan Union, 1974-
Immediate source of acquisition:
Documents deposited by Mr J Lawrence, Wintersloe, 22 March 2000
Administrative / biographical background:
The CEMS was formed in 1899 by Archbishop Frederick Temple by the amalgamation of the Church of England's Young Men's Society, the Young Men's Friendly Society and the Men's Help Society. It was intended to be educational, social and representative of the Church of England whilst also adapting to local circumstances. A good overall history of the society is provided in A time to be born and a time to die, 1985 (see D8523/2/5/1).
The Society's rapid expansion in local parochial branches led to the formation of federations and diocesan unions. These were responsible for upholding the policies and aims of the society, encouraging new members and reporting on the state of the branches (see D8523/2/4/1 and D8523/2/4/2). They also sent representatives to the annual national CEMS conferences.
The records in this collection relate to the Cheltenham and District Federation and the Gloucester Diocesan Union. The Cheltenham and District Federation was founded in 1909 and wound up in 1974 when its functions were transferred to the Gloucester Diocesan Union. The Gloucester records cover the period 1921-1986. In 1985 the national Church of England Men's Society was closed. A Gloucester Diocesan Men's Society was set up continue the work of CEMS locally. The depositor was secretary of the Gloucester Diocesan Union at that time.