St Dominics Roman Catholic Priory, Newcastle-upon-Tyne
5 series + 8 files
Immediate source of acquisition:
Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Tyne and Wear
Administrative / biographical background:
The Dominicans have been a part of the history of Newcastle intermittently for over 750 years. The order moved to Hexham in 1544 after the dissolution of the monasteries and remained there until 1860. In 1860 the Bishop of Hexham and Newcastle invited the order to return to the city. They resided temporarily at Old St. Andrews in Worswick Street. In 1865 the Red Barns site was secured and on September 11 1873 the present Church was blessed and opened. The Parish registers date from this period. In 1882 the Catholic mission at Red Barns was raised to the status of Priory.
In 1989 the Dominican order celebrated their 750th anniversary in Newcastle.