John Moore of Warley Wigorn, in his will dated 24 Sept.1724, bequeathed £100 to trustees, the profits of which were to be used for the education of poor children living in Warley Wigorn. Following his death a school and schoolmaster's house were built in Beeches Rd, Warley.
In 1877 Richard Powell of Moat Farm, Warley, bequeathed more than £500 to the trustees. From this date the trust has been known as Moore Powell's Educational Charity.
With the erection of a Board School in 1881, Moore's school became superfluous. By the end of the century the school premises and endowed lands had been sold. The charity then used its income to provide prizes for elementary school pupils and grants for higher education. The latter became unnecessary with free secondary education under the Education Act and since then the charity has presented book prizes to pupils at Warley primary schools.