The Archives Department also has Archdeacon John Rushton's Visitation Returns, 4 March 1846, which include ground and gallery plans, 1836 and Tenth Statement of Day, Infant and Sunday Schools, December 1845. (MS f 942.72 R121 vol. 39), deeds of pew 107, 1837-1863 (M159/4/3/1-5), deed of land for the parsonage house, 1865 (M159/1/7), and Sunday School register, 1868-1915 (MISC/345).
|Administrative / biographical background:
St. Saviour's was built at the corner of Plymouth Grove and Upper Brook Street at the expense of Scholes Birch of Chorlton upon Medlock, who became its patron, and whose son Rev. Edward Birch became first rector.
The foundation stone was laid on 2 July 1835 and the church consecrated on 11 November 1836. It was assigned a District by Bishop's Instrument on 1 March 1837 and by Order in Council, 24 June 1856 (London Gazette, 1 July).
Part of the parish was assigned to St. John Chrysostom, Victoria Park, Rusholme, by Order in Council, 16 May 1878 (London Gazette, 21 May). Part was exchanged with St. Thomas's, Ardwick, by Order in Council, 1 December 1955, (London Gazette, 6 December). In 1967 some was assigned to St. Ambrose, Chorlton upon Medlock, by Order in Council, 28 July (London Gazette, 3 August 1967).
In 1971 the parish was united with that of St. Paul with St. Luke as Christ Church, Brunswick, by Order in Council, 23 June, (London Gazette, 25 June 1971).
The last service in the original church was held on 28 August 1960, and until 1964 services were held in the Parish Room, while a new church was being erected. The foundation stone of the new church was laid on 11 May 1963 and the dedication service was held on 21 March 1964.
Unfortunately this had to be abandoned and the new Christ Church, Brunswick, was opened on 8 June 1974.