Records deposited on permanent loan by John Lobb, bootmakers, 9 St James's Street, London SW1 on 29 June 1966
Administrative / biographical background:
Box, Buhl and Moykopf were originally independent boot and shoe makers.
Robert Box set up business in 1834 at 187 Regent Street and was succeeded in 1868 by his son Joseph Box. The business survived until 1956 at various addresses, including 15a Hanover Square, 45 Conduit Street, 25 Hanover Square and 61 Grosvenor Street. It was then taken over by John Lobb.
Frederick Buhl set up business in 1842 at 47 Burlington Arcade and moved to 58 Burlington Arcade in 1845. In 1868 he took over 59 Burlington Arcade in addition and remained there until taken over by John Lobb in 1951.
Charles Moykopf set up business in 1852 at 29 Burlington Arcade. In 1869 he acquired number 28 and in 1882 number 30. However these premises were destroyed in an air raid in 1940 and Charles Moykopf moved to 58 and 59 Burlington Arcade and occupied the same premises as Frederick Buhl until 1951 when both businesses were taken over by John Lobb.