Catalogue description NEWBURY DISTRICT HOSPITAL RECORDS

This record is held by Berkshire Record Office

Details of D/H4
Reference: D/H4
Title: NEWBURY DISTRICT HOSPITAL RECORDS
Description:

Records of Newbury District Hospital

 

ADMINISTRATION: provisional, general, site and executive committee minutes, 1884; management committee minutes, 1885-1907, 1917-1947; annual meeting minutes, 1897-1907, 1917-1945; annual reports, 1885-1947 (gaps); house committee minutes, 1885-1905, 1914-1922, 1948-1969; finance committee minutes, 1936-1945, cash book, 1943; balance sheet, 1948; emergency (later hospital) committee minutes, 1939-1945 (gaps); medical staff committee minutes, 1940-1972; various sub-committee minutes, 1884, 1937-1938, 1945; visitors' reports, 1969-1974; Reading and District Hospital management committee and sub committee minutes, 1971-1974; Berkshire Area Health Authority minutes, 1973-1975.

 

MEDICAL RECORDS: registers of patients, 1909-1951 (gaps); register of military patients, 1916-1917; casualty registers, 1943-1946; day book, 1909-1919; patients' admission forms, 1918-1919; registers of operations, 1947-1955; private wards treatment books, 1951-1952.

 

MISCELLANEOUS: letters of appreciation, 1961-1969; scrapbook, 1881-1936; presscuttings, 1957-1966, 1977-1978; photographs, c.1914-1983; rules, 1884, 1946; centenary leaflet, 1985; miscellaneous, 1917-1984

Date: 1881-1985
Held by: Berkshire Record Office, not available at The National Archives
Former reference in its original department: D/H4
Language: English
Creator:

Newbury District Hospital, 1884-

Physical description: (53 vols, 22 bdls, 7 docs, 3 items).
Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in November 1995 (acc.5697).

 

Acc.5697: D/H4 1/1; 2/1-2; 3/1-5; 4/1-4; 5/1; 6/1-14; 7/1; 8/1-4; 9/1-2; 10/1-12; 11/1-2; 12/1-3; 13/1-2; 14/1; 15/1; 16/1-6; 17/1/1-10; 17/2/1-2; 18/1-11

Subjects:
  • Newbury, Berkshire
  • Health services
Administrative / biographical background:

Newbury District Hospital was built in 1884 in Andover Road, Newbury, to meet the medical needs of the people of Newbury and Newbury Rural District following the closure of the Nurses Home and Navvy Hospital in Bartholomew Terrace.

 

The hospital originally housed 12 patients, but various additions were made form 1894 onwards, with a major building programme in 1936-7.

 

In 1948 the hospital was taken over by the newly formed National Health Service, although it continued to accept private patients.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research