Presented to the Library, donor not traced, 22 June 1942.
Old no. Kf 234
Administrative / biographical background:
James Redcliffe Jeffery, draper, established Compton House in 1832. He became a town councillor and Justice of the Peace and was a leading figure in Liverpool trade and politics. Compton House was burnt down in 1865 with a total loss of stock. A second building was opened in 1867, but Jeffery eventually went bankrupt.