Catalogue description Saint John the Evangelist, Putney: Saint John's Avenue, Wandsworth

This record is held by London Metropolitan Archives: City of London

Details of P97/JNE3
Reference: P97/JNE3
Title: Saint John the Evangelist, Putney: Saint John's Avenue, Wandsworth

Incumbent's Records and administrative papers and books

Date: 1893-1973
Related material:

Dec. 1906 - July 1910


Baptisms at St John's were entered in the latter part of the register of baptisms of St Mary, Putney, Nov. 1901 - Nov. 1906 damaged by fire at St Mary's. (Ac. 74.65)


Please use P95/MRY1/376


For further records of St John's parish administration see P95/MRY1

Held by: London Metropolitan Archives: City of London, not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Church of England, St John The Evangelist Parish, Putney

Physical description: 17 documents
Immediate source of acquisition:

Records of St John the Evangelist, St John's Avenue, Putney, deposited by the Vicar of St Mary's with All Saints, Putney, in the Greater London Record Office, County Hall, London SE1 7PB, on 17 July 1974 and 7 June 1978 (Ac. No.74.65, part; 78.39, part)

Custodial history:

Baptisms at St John's were not recorded separately from those at St Mary's until December 1906; the series of marriage registers begins in June 1893.


Additional records deposited by the Incumbent of St Mary with All Saints Putney, 8 April 1981 (Acc 1743)

  • Church of England, St Mary's Parish, Putney
  • Church of England, All Saints Lower Common Parish, Putney
Administrative / biographical background:

St John's Church, a chapel of ease of St Mary, Putney, was consecrated in 1859; damaged by enemy action in 1944, it was reopened in September 1948. In September 1972, when parish activities were centred at St Mary's, St John's remained as a chapel of ease. After the fire at St Mary's in June 1973, this position was reversed, St John's becoming the pro-parish Church. In May 1977 it was leased to the Polish Roman Catholic Church, and All Saints Lower Common, the other chapel of ease, took its place as pro-parish Church.

Link to NRA Record:

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research