Joseph Shore and Sons, Birmingham, Warwickshire, wine and spirit merchants
Immediate source of acquisition:
Documents received from Mr B Shore, Hove as a gift
Administrative / biographical background:
The business of Joseph Shore, merchant, of Easy Row, is first recorded in the Birmingham Directory of 1808 at number 3 Easy Row. In 1833 the business is recorded at 11 Easy Row, and by 1839 Frederick Shore had become a partner. In 1854 the business became known as Joseph Shore and son until 1868-71 when the name changed to Shore, Son and Davies. The firm is described variously as wine and spirit merchants, wine importers, and hardware merchants. In 1935 the firm became a limited company known as Joseph Shore and Son Ltd. In 1962 the company moved to premises at 76-76 Broad St, where they remained until they ceased trading in about 1972.
The correspondence in the collection has been numbered, though some letters from the numbered sequence were removed prior to deposit. Notes attached to the bundles suggest that the missing letters contained items of family interest. The remaining correspondence deals with the business transactions between F.F.B. Shore in Portugal, Frederick Shore, and Joseph Shore, in England. F.F.B. Shore was the son of Frederick, and nephew of Joseph.
The collection also includes a bank deposit book and diaries belonging to a Miss E. Waddell, the sister of George Waddell who is believed to have been a Post Master at the Hen and Chickens Inn, New Street. The connection between the Waddells and Joseph Shore is undetermined, although both lived in Edgbaston.