Most of the collection, apart from a few miscellaneous items, was deposited in August 1981 by Mr. K. Pearce.
Providence Congregational Church, Uxbridge
Uxbridge United Church
Administrative / biographical background:
Old Meeting Congregational Church is said to have been founded in 1662. Founding members included Hezekiah Woodward, the vicar of Bray. In 1669 three independent preachers are listed as working in Uxbridge and after the Declaration of Indulgence in 1672 they were all given license to preach in Uxbridge. The first permanent minister in Uxbridge was Rev. James Waters who was invited to look after the congregation in 1692. After a number of years meeting in the homes of members premises were acquired in 1716 and the first meeting house erected. Parts of this building still stand. Little is known of the history of the church in the eighteenth century. In 1769 the Rev. William Rutherford came from Caithness. He served in Uxbridge for 20 years. Little is known of his pastorate except that he bought a house on Uxbridge Common from where he ran a thriving school. He was followed by Rev. Thomas Beasley in 1789. He began a Sunday School, the first in the town. He also continued Dr. Rutherford's school, which moved to premises on the High Street and became known as Uxbridge School; this had a very high local reputation. The congregation was never large and the Sunday School never rivaled that of the later Providence Congregational Church. In 1962 Providence and Old Meeting Congregational churches amalgamated to form the Uxbridge United Church.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know