Theses records were transferred from Bankfield Museum
Administrative / biographical background:
Richard Whitaker's brewery was founded in 1848. Brewing originally took place at the corner of Seedlings Mount and Crib Lane, Halifax, and also on the site of the former Stannary Inn. In 1867, the Brewery moved to Corporation St and in 1890 the firm was incorporated. Another branch of the family, headed by G B Whitaker, brewed at Grove Brewery, at Brearley, Midgley, between c1850 and 1906. This is why there were so many Whitaker inns along the Calder Valley to Todmorden. This branch eventually merged with the main operation in Halifax.
In 1959, two Whitbread directors joined the Whitaker Board, and all Whitbread's bottled beers were installed into all the Whitaker houses. In August 1968, Whitakers planned to merge with Whitbreads and Company at their own request, and production at the Corporation Street Brewery ceased in February 1969, when 167 people worked there. It was demolished in 1973. Production was transferred to Bentley's Yorkshire Breweries at Woodlesford, near Leeds. Mr Michael Whitaker, the Executive Director, declined an invitation to join Whitbreads.
At its closure, Whitakers had nearly 140 pubs surrounding Halifax, with outposts at Rochdale, Menston, Wakefield, and Doncaster, as well as a club at Blackpool