Formed as a statutory company in 1821, the Imperial Gas Light & Coke Co. supplied the suburbs of London north of the Thames. Its first engineer was Samuel Clegg. During the first few years it built three gas works. St Pancras works was built in 1822 at Battlebridge Road, it was closed in 1904 but briefly re-opened in 1907 before finally being dismantled in the same year. Shoreditch works was built in 1823 at Whiston St and continued to manufacture coal until 1934 after which only the CWG plant remained in operation until the site was finally closed in 1953 and subsequently dismantled. The Fulham works were built in 1824 at Sands End Lane and first operated as a holder station, with Samual Clegg as its first engineer. In 1829 it commenced manufacture of gas and CWG plant was added in 1899 (see GAL/IMG/FUL). In 1870 the company built its fourth gas works at Bromley, St Leonards Road, it became operational in 1873 and was meant to rival Beckton (see GAL/IMG/BRO).
The Imperial company expanded by taking over several small companies. In 1823 the Imperial Co. took over Calson's Undertaking, in Dutton St. and closed down the works in 1825 once the Pancras works were fully operational. In 1829 the plant was transferred to Fulham. In 1824 McKintosh's Undertaking in Limehouse was bought and closed down. In 1825 it took over Whitechapel Road Gas Light and Coke Co. which had a works at Bow. The manufacturing plant was closed down and the holders supplied from Shoreditch, until the whole works was sold to the British Gas Light Co. in 1829.
After several periods of competition with the GLCC the two companies finally amalgamated in 1876.
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know