Catalogue description Pells Church of England Primary School, Lewes

This record is held by East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO)

Details of E/SC/114
Reference: E/SC/114
Title: Pells Church of England Primary School, Lewes
Date: 1896 - 1999
Related material:

For minutes of the governing body, 1896-1903 and 1950-1972 see E/MA/112/1-3; for HMI report, 1997 see R/E 1/15/189; for records of Executive Committee and Central Maintenance Board for the Lewes Voluntary Schools, 1894-1911 see HIL 8/2/1-11; for the Lewes Borough Council building control plans of the school, 1896 see DL/A 1/46/120; for file concerning the proposed replacement site for the school at Arundel Green, 1954-1973 see DL/D 10/4. For records of St John's National School, see E/SC/116

Held by: East Sussex and Brighton and Hove Record Office (ESBHRO), not available at The National Archives
Language: English

Pells Church of England Primary School, Lewes, East Sussex

Physical description: 15 series
Custodial history:

With the exception of E/SC/114/1/1, documents were transferred 25 Jul 200 (ACC 8179)

Administrative / biographical background:

The Pells National School opened in 1897 to replace the Lancaster Street British School, which closed on 29 January 1897 (E/SC/113). The Pells School was designed by Richard Creed, 11 Finsbury Circus, London, architect, and built by Duncan Stewart and Sons, Wallington, Surrey, builders and contractors, in April 1896


From April 1915 the former mixed department of the school took senior boys only; senior girls transferred to other schools, mainly St John's National School. In January 1932 it was agreed that senior and junior girls from St John's School would transfer to the Pells School; St John's School was subsequently closed in 1938, and many of the remaining pupils transferred to the Pells. The Pells girls' department was reorganised as an infants' school in Dec 1938


East Sussex County Council purchased a site at Landport for a new infants' school in 1948. The development was delayed, and the new school finally opened on 24 April 1974; the junior school remained in Talbot Terrace. The junior school was amalgamated with the infants' school in April 1990, and the school was then known as Pells CE Primary School. The junior school moved to the Landport Road site in the summer of 2000

Have you found an error with this catalogue description?

Help with your research