Records are open for consultation unless otherwise indicated
Immediate source of acquisition:
On abolition of South Yorkshire County Council on 31 March 1986, the records passed from South Yorkshire County Record Office, by agreement of the four South Yorkshire District Councils, to the custody of Sheffield Archives as lead authority. They were then transferred to Rotherham Archives
WT Beesley and Co Ltd, Sheffield
Rotherham, West Riding of Yorkshire
Administrative / biographical background:
The works were built by Walker Brothers who bought the land and a slitting mill at Holmes Mills, Rotherham from the Earl of Effingham in 1757. In 1782 Matthew Habershon was employed by the Walkers. In 1829 he bought the Holmes Tin Plate works and shortly afterwards, with his sons Henry and John Jonas, he converted them into steel rolling mills.
In 1920 the company of J.J. Habershon and Sons Ltd was formed. It made steel strips, sheets and sections for pen nibs, cycle wheel rims and the motorcycle and car industries. The firm rolled the material for the stainless steel girdle strengthening the dome of St. Paul's Cathedral, and during the Second World War it made an extensive contribution to the aircraft industry.
W.T. Beesley & Co Ltd was set up in 1888 to purchase the Universal Steel Works, Rolling and Wire Mills in Attercliffe Road and Effingham Street, Sheffield from William Thomas Beesley. It was taken over in 1954 by J.J. Habershon and Sons Ltd, which was closed down in 1981
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know