NOTE : SOME ITEMS IN THIS COLLECTION ARE RESTRICTED.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Acc. 3680: SO/40/1/15-28
Acc 3803: SO/HO/1/29
Acc 3714; SO/HO/1/30-34
Acc 4335: SO/HO/1/58
Administrative / biographical background:
An Asylum was opened at Sneinton in 1810 for approximately 60 patients. It was called "The General Lunatic Asylum for the County and Town of Nottingham" and was a "voluntary" organisation. In 1855 all private patients were moved to the new Coppice Hospital and Sneinton became "The County and Borough of Nottingham Lunatic Asylum". In 1873 the union between the county and the borough was dissolved. From 1880 the whole institution was retained for the use of the county, the town using the new Mapperley Hospital. Saxondale Hospital was built to replace Sneinton in 1902. It passed to the National Health Service in 1948.