Depositor: British Records Association BRA 641, BRA 1846.
Date: 10 March 1989
Administrative / biographical background:
Introduction The Bowyer Estate, also known as the Manor Estate, comprised the former Clapham Park, Thornbury and Thorncliffe estates. It consisted of lands in Clapham lying south of Wandsworth Road and North of Clapham Common. The bulk of the estate was laid out as between 1870 and 1876.
The Estate was the property of the Atkins Bowyer family who had held lands in Clapham since the 17th century. See The Chronicles of Clapham J.H. Micheal Burgess.
Ground rents for portions of the estate were sold in 1891 and 1927; for plans and sale particulars see C215 A-E (O.S).