The following items were received from Chiltonian Ltd, Manor Lane, SE12, per Mr Alec King, in 1980.
Administrative / biographical background:
Chiltonian's were a biscuit manufacturers, based at Manor Lane, Lee.
The business takes its name from the maiden name of the founder's mother, Mary Chilton. The business had its origins in 1908 when Arthur Chilton King purchased Perfecta Foods which had been trading in dog biscuits and poultry foods. In 1911, their baking plant was erected near Hither Green Railway Station. The firm expanded during the Great War making biscuits for the Army. When peace came, the product range expanded into fancy biscuits. A new and larger premises was constructed at Manor Lane, Lee in 1924-1925. Up to now, it had been a partnership between Arthur, Herbert and Harold King, but in 1933 they adopted limited liability status and the company was called Chiltonian Ltd. Once again, during 1939-1945, Service contracts dominated the company's orders. New management structures, a national sales force and the introduction of newer machinery followed 1945. Uk braned tonnage peaked in 1973 and the company joined a new food group, the Dawnay Day Group. However, Dawnay Day eventually decided to concentrate on its City interests and Chiltonian became part of the Amalgamated Biscuits Group in 1980.