A P V Mitchell (Dryers) Ltd, Denton Holme, Carlisle
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited 25th May 1976
Administrative / biographical background:
William Pratchitt from Bolton, Lancashire, went into partnership with John Blaylock of Carlisle as Blaylock & Pratchitt in 1859 at Long Island. Rapid expansion led the firm to move to Denton Holme in 1863. In that year the firm was joined by William's brother John, and became Pratchitt, Blaylock and Pratchitt. By 1900, it was known as Pratchitt Bros. In 1904 and 1911 it received the Royal Warrant for works at Sandringham. On 23 July 1929, Pratchitt Bros. became a Limited Company with Mr WM Pratchitt as Managing Director and Mr LA Mitchell as a Director, succeeding Mr WM Pratchitt on the latter's retirement in 1947, and linking the firm's work to his own firm of LA Mitchell Ltd., Manchester.
Source: the firm's centenary brochure Pratchitt Brothers Ltd.: 100 Years of Engineering, 1959.