This deposit includes minutes of the hospital's governing body to 1967 (with gaps) and a good series of patient registers to the 1960s. However only 16 case files of patients at Long Grove Hospital appear to have survived.
Minutes of the Long Grove sub-committee of the London County Council Asylums Committee, later Mental Hospitals Committee, 1903-1948, are held by the London Metropolitan Archives under the reference LCC/MIN/1166-1194. Papers presented to the sub-committee between 1903 and 1936 were sent for salvage during the second world war. The two volumes of papers which survive for the period 1936-1948 are held as LCC/MIN/1195 and 1196. A register of lunatics sent by the Bermondsey Board of Guardians for treatment at Long Grove is held by the LMA as BBG/540-558.
Other records relating to Long Grove Hospital are held with those of the King Edward's Hospital Fund for London at the London Metropolitan Archives under the reference A/KE/-. A copy of the full list of this deposit is held by Surrey History Centre as REP 759. Abstracts from it which relate to Long Grove and other Epsom hospitals are held as REP 832. They include visitors' reports on the hospital for the years 1959, 1962 and 1967 as well as reports by the Catering Advisory Committee of the Fund relating to catering services at the hospital.
Records relating to named patients are closed to public inspection for one hundred years.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Transferred under the Public Records Act by the Records and Systems Manager of the Kingston and District Community NHS Trust in August 1994. Documents 6251/3/3, 6251/4/89, and 107, 6251/5/33-34 and 6251/6/1-2 were deposited by West Park Hospital, Epsom, in December 1994.
Administrative / biographical background:
Long Grove Hospital opened in 1907 on land in Epsom acquired by the London County Council. It accommodated 2,149 patients. Between 1907 and 1948 it was administered by the Asylums Committee, later Mental Hospitals Committee, of the London County Council. During the second world war the hospital received patients from Horton hospital which was used for treating military personnel. Files relating to some of these patients will be found under the reference 6251/4/128. Long Grove also received large numbers of Polish patients, of whom three hundred remained in 1951 (see 6251/1/1). On 5 July 1948 the hospital passed under the administrative charge of a Hospital Management Committee of the South West Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board. It closed in 1992 and was replaced by a smaller unit at Tolworth Hospital managed by the Kingston and District Community NHS Trust.