The records consist of one Log Book and a file of school reports etc
Restrictions on use:
Photocopying of these records might be permitted, depending on their size and condition. Please see a member of staff
There are no restrictions on access.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Accession 2001-017 (B-S5/1/1/1 formerly SMCH/2/1) transferred from Lancashire Record Office
Accession 1996-014 B-S5/2/1
Administrative / biographical background:
The Wesleyan Methodist Sunday School in Oldham was established in March 1785 in the Old Chapel, Bent Brow. From Bent Brow the school moved to a room in Duke Street, and into St Domingo Street School erected in 1822.
The Wesleyan cause at Busk began with open air services and cottage prayer meetings conducted by members of the Manchester Street Society. A Sunday school was then formed under the authorisation of the St Domingo Street Committee. Rooms, so arranged that they could be turned back into cottages if necessary, were taken, and the school opened in August 1862.
Following the success of the school a piece of land was then offered in Busk Street and a new church and school was opened in June 1872.
The Infants' school closed in December 1924, the Board of Education considering the premises to be 'unsuitable for continued recognition and incapable of improvement'. It was replaced by Mills Hill Council School.
The Mixed school continued until 31 March 1926 when the pupils were transferred to North Chadderton Council School
Have you found an error with this catalogue description? Let us know